"Love Does" by Bob Goff

The best book I've read all year!!!  




OK. It is only a couple of weeks in to the new year... but trust me when I tell you that Love Does wins my vote so far!!! 

Seriously, though...

I first heard about Bob Goff and Love Does at Allume, a writers conference here in my city.  I had not planned to be at the conference, but found myself right there in the middle of bloggers and writers and women who were so gracious with their hospitality and words of encouragement. Several speakers quoted Mr. Goff and his book and I soon found myself reading this work with delight and joy.  

One of my favorite writing styles in non-fiction is when an author can open his world with his words to allow the reader to see inside his life as if providing a front row seat.

Mr. Goff is this kind of writer.

One of my favorite chapters was titled "The Puppeteer".  In this chapter, "The Puppeteer" is a masterpiece, an original painting that gets marred in a rubber band fight. Which made me cringe, by the way! 

Mr. Goff beautifully wove together how the original masterpiece was obtained at a great price to himself, how it was marred by the very ones he loved, but how thankful he is to have the memory of doing life together every time he gazes at the masterpiece. And then he says the following...


“I realized that God doesn’t think any less of us when things don’t go right.  Actually, I think He plans on it.  What He doesn’t plan on is us putting a fake version of ourselves out there to take the hit.  God is the master artist and made an original version of us, a priceless one that cost everything to create. A version that can’t and wont be created again.”~Love Does, Bob Goff

This was the most artfully worded lesson on Ephesians 2:10 
I have ever encountered.  


"For we are God's workmanship (masterpiece) 
created in Christ Jesus to do good works."
Ephesians 2:10 NIV

As a Christ Follower, we love because He first loved us.  Not to gain or win His approval.  We ARE approved already!!! 

But when we do seek to love like He loves, it can get messy and we risk taking a hit and getting our souls scared and scarred. But LOVE does because it loves. 

Each chapter in Mr. Goff's book takes a peek into his life and the story of love that he has lived since his youth.  Every story a window in to the writer's world and a nudge at the reader's heart to love without limits and to trust God for the journey.  

Here are a few of my favorite quotes from the book.

“I used to think Jesus motivated us with ultimatums, but now I know He pursues us in love.”


“I learned that fully loving and fully living are not only synonymous but the kind of life that Jesus invited us to be part of.”

“I used to think being loved was the greatest thing to think about, but now I know love is never satisfied just thinking about it.”

“That’s one of the things about love.  It doesn’t recognize boundaries and never obeys the rules we try to give it.”    


OK, so I highlighted much of the book, I will be honest.  It was just that good!!! 

Each chapter is thought provoking, heart warming and soul inspiring. Love Does is my 2015 book of the year... unless I update you otherwise! :-)






**I purchased this book from amazon.com and have in no way been asked to endorse the writer or the book nor have I been compensated in any way.


No comments:

Post a Comment