BLESSING {30 Days of Thanks}

Canva Design/photo De Anna Morris
READ:  Mark 6:41

When I was a child and it was my turn to “say the blessing” these were the words that I had learned: 

“God is great. God is good.  Let us thank Him for our food.  By His hands, we are fed.  Give us Lord our daily bread. Amen”

I really didn’t know what “say the blessing” meant, but I somehow understood that it was a matter of being thankful to God for the ability to eat. 





When I watch the drama Blue-bloods on Friday nights with my hubby, the Reagan family will always pause to “say grace”.  The Robertson family on Duck Dynasty removes their hats to pray over the family dinner at the end of the show.  Families for generations have bowed their heads to give thanks even if only once or twice a year to offer The Blessing whether there is actual belief in God.

Jesus gave us an example of how to pray a prayer of thanksgiving over the food the day he multiplied the lunch of a small boy to feed well over five thousand people.  The text implies that He simply looked up to heaven, breathed a short prayer to the Father and then broke the bread that symbolized His own life that would be broken and multiplied for the whole world to receive. 

RESPOND:  Today when you are receiving a meal, will you take the time to breathe in a prayer of thanksgiving for the provision of God’s grace gift to you, His Son? Use your own words.  Simple words of grace and blessing are the most beautiful.

The Word Worship Prayer
These are my Roots


No comments:

Post a Comment